It's not always easy to tell if you have a sinus infection or another illness when you're suffering from congestion and headaches. Fortunately, your Coral Springs, FL, ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist, Dr. Ram Madasu of Broward ENT Consultants, can diagnose your condition and offer treatments that will relieve your sinus problems.
Common sinus infection symptoms
If you have a sinus infection, you may experience these symptoms:
- Nasal Congestion: Your sinuses become swollen and inflamed when you have a sinus infection. The swelling interferes with normal drainage from your sinuses and makes you feel congested.
- Facial Pain and Pressure: When drainage is reduced, pressure builds up in your sinuses, triggering pain in your forehead and around your eyes and nose. When you bend over, you may notice that pain and pressure worsen. Headaches are common when you have a sinus infection. In some cases, the inflammation can irritate the nerves in your upper teeth and may make you think that you have a cavity.
- Discharge: When you blow your nose you may see thick mucus that looks green or yellow.
- Cough and Sore Throat: The thick mucus tends to drip down the back of your throat when you have a sinus infection. Known as post-nasal drip, this problem may irritate your throat and make it feel sore. Coughing can also occur as a result of post-nasal drip. The coughing may wake you up in the night, while the collection of mucus in your stomach can make you feel nauseated when you wake up.
- Tenderness: Does your face hurt when you touch it? Sinus infections can cause tenderness in the cheeks, forehead, bridge of your nose, and the area around your eyes.
- Fever: Although everyone doesn't develop a fever with a sinus infection, it can be a symptom.
Be sure to call the Coral Springs, ENT, office if your sinus problems last longer than 10 days. If your symptoms are caused by a bacterial infection, you'll need to take antibiotics to treat your problem. Your ENT can also recommend decongestants, antihistamines, nasal sprays, and other medications that will help you feel better.
Do you think you may have sinus problems? Call your ENT doctor in Coral Springs, FL, Dr. Madasu of Broward ENT Consultants, at (954) 369-4198 to schedule your appointment.